St. Matthews was formed in 1904. The congregation worshipped in a number of different venues, until its present-day sanctuary was built in 1914. In the early years, the congregation was involved in receiving and ministering among European immigrants to the city. In 1930, a radio broadcast ministry, “The Golden Hour”, was established primarily for the benefit of the homebound. To this day the radio ministry continues broadcasting the Sunday morning worship service every Sunday at 11:00 am on Faith FM 94.3. In 1951, the educational wings, chapel, church garden and church hall were built to meet the needs of the growing congregation. Today, the congregation’s mission includes serving the needs of the downtown population by providing food, shelter, and personal care items for low-income persons without a permanent residence through the “Out of the Cold” program and the “Dorcas Cupboard.” Throughout its history, St. Matthews has enjoyed a strong music ministry.